Saturday, July 5, 2008

Drew's Big Boy Bed






We decided it was time for our little man to have a big boy bed. After a lot of searching on http://www.craigslist.com/ and stores, I found a bed on http://www.craigslist.com/ down in San Diego. We were planning on a twin size bed right away, but the bed I found was a toddler bed that slides into a twin size bed. And it was so inexpensive, wood, and cute! Thursday I had an acupuncture appointment down in San Diego, so I arranged to pick up the bed that morning, go get his bedding, and then go to acupuncture. I had looked online wondering what mattress fits a toddler bed, thinking we would just use the crib mattress and keep the bed in toddler mode for awhile, switching it to a twin when he gets a little bigger. Everything I found told me that a crib mattress fits toddler beds, so I was excited since we could use his mattress and not have to get one right away. After picking up the bed and going shopping for his new room linens, drapes, and such, I was so excited to get everything put together. We planned to just do it all Friday morning, so it was all ready for his nap. I was up early with Drew taking the crib down and laundering all his new bedding. Eric eventually crawled out of bed and helped me with the crib and the new bed. Once we got the bed together, I proudly placed the crib mattress into the frame, looking forward to putting his new sheets on it. But, the mattress was way too narrow. This mattress didn't fit at all!!!! It was 10:30am, nap time is in about an hour and a half, and he had nowhere to sleep. I quickly realized the bed was from IKEA, a Swedish company, and was a lot wider than normal toddler beds. In fact they sell special mattresses for their toddler beds. And it makes sense now since the bed just slides into a twin size, it would have to be as wide as a twin mattress. So, we hurriedly got dressed and ran to a mattress store in town to buy a twin size mattress. $130 later, we were driving home, trying to keep Drew awake so that we could put a bed together for his nap. Thankfully, it fit and the new linens are so cute. One minor detail is that I bought two comforter/quilts and duvet covers to go over them. One of them melted in my dryer that morning, so I have to figure out when I am going to get down to IKEA again and try to exchange it with a non-melted comforter. So, one of his little blanket/comforters is not on the bed yet, but it is cute too. Here are some pics of Drew asleep at nap time yesterday and of the bed finally put together. He did great for such a big transition. It took a little comforting to get him to sleep at nap time, but only a couple of minutes before he was asleep. He fell out at nap after two hours of sleeping, but the bed is very low to the ground and we had pillows there just in case. Last night, he went down great, but woke up at 1am crying really hard. Eric tried to calm him, but he wanted his mama, so I laid in bed with him for about an hour. It was actually really sweet to be able to do that. It's been about a year since we moved him out of our bed and into the crib, so it was kind of nice to sleep with him again for a little bit. He woke up happy, as always, but didn't get out of bed on his own. I am not sure if he understands yet that he can just hop out of bed and come find us...that will come with time I am sure.

4 comments:

Beth Purkiss said...

he is so dang cute. i am so lucky to be his aunt. i love how he's sleeping legs spread and all. he's is so grown up now. hope he doesn't pop in and scare you in the middle of the night! :)

Kelly said...

hahhaa..THAT is a GREAT story Joy! What is funny...after hearing you say you are putting up his big boy bed and then in a rush to get it ready for nap time and getting off the phone with you..I thought to myself...as I put sheets on my daughters bed. Geezz..I should have told her really there is no need for a toddler bed I wonder if they got a toddler bed. Then my thoughts quickly change because that is only something you think about later. After you have bought the toddler bed and you are on child number 2. At least that is what I did. We did the whole toddler bed with Matt but when Sammers was ready to be out of the crib we just went straight to a twin, we bought a rail of course, but that didn't last long either. So Kudos for just getting a twin. You saved yourself some money. I agree with your sister-in-law. Here come the nights when they freak you out by just standing on your side of the bed. hahaha. Oh yeah...and Drew will soon figure out that he can just come and see you. hahaha...then you wish he hadn't figured it out. I still have to tell Samantha...come here..!! :) Enjoy and I love the bedding you picked out!! He is JUST SIMPLY ADORABLE!!

Tonya said...

That picture of Drew sleeping is sooooo cute! What a big boy! Great choice for bedding too. We did the whole toddler bed thing with Sidney and Lucas. It was a nice transition to a big bed, but I really like the idea of getting a bed that can be turned into a twin. I'll have to check out IKEA pretty soon.

CJ said...

OH HOW CUTE! I love the bedding! We have pics just like that of Andy and Chad building his big boy bed. So you ended up having to have it be a twin anyway- bummer. Though RR only was in a toddler bed for maybe 2 wks and Tirzah never- Jodi