Sunday, July 6, 2008

Home Improvement Mishaps




This is my (Eric's) first blog, but I thought I'd try it out cause I'm sure you are all interested in what I'm up to. I read about everyone else's life, so I thought I'd let you read about mine. When I'm not working, I try to do little projects around the house. I'm not sure why I enjoy it so much because I have a certain knack of turning the easiest of home repairs into salvation losing dilemmas! Let's just say I won't be putting up anymore child safety locks on cabinets or hanging curtain rods.


The other day, I tried to replace an outlet on our back patio because Drew broke off the cover and I already had the items needed to replace it. Sounds easy huh? I have changed dozens of outlets in my short 33 years of life (only been shocked 67 times) and I had 20 minutes to quickly change this one. Two hours later and a trip to Home Depot (which I thought I didn't need to do) our new outlet is working fine. Make that 68 times now, only I can turn the power off and still get shocked!


My latest project is tiling the master bathroom floor. Once again I thought, "I can do this, how hard can it be?" Famous words from my father-in-law. Plus I was given the tile for free, so I was under the impression that I would be doing an (economic) disservice to the house by not tiling something. Not sure why I thought this because if someone had given me tires, I don't think I would build a car!! Well, after a little more than 2 months of not being able to use our bathroom, half a dozen trips to Home Depot, over $300 in supplies, and a leak from the toilet that resulted in a beautiful stain on our kitchen ceiling, the bathroom is almost finished. This is not a project I recommend to anyone who is a perfectionist. Trust me, I pretty much had to do all the finish work twice.


Well, my first blog is turning out to be long and I apologize, I will go now because I need to ice my wrist again. Long story short, I thought I'd put the crib that Drew doesn't use anymore in the attic (another relatively simple job, or so I think). I get all the way in there and try to turn around on the top step of the ladder (8 ft.) and fall. Result: 2 sprained wrists and a bruised ego!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

HAHAHA....that was funny. hahaha...I can just see you in the attic...!
Bathroom looks great Eric!!

Keep it up. You made me laugh! : )

Kelly

Eric and Joy Pearcy said...

Laugh it up Kelly, I was putting together a tricycle tonight and wouldn't you know it, the last bolt would not go in. Drew had a fit and was crying because he couldn't ride it. I almost pulled my hair out.

Tricia said...

Hi Eric....not sure if you remember me but I went to school with you at Barclay. Your family is just darling!! What a cutie your little guy is....congrats! Fun reading up on your life : )